Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Freezing Spring

Why is it so cold? It is spring and it is the desert, but the temperature seems to be playing some kind of game with me...nice warm days that invite a long walk through the neighborhood to the park, sun shining on my face telling me to get some flowers on the front stoop, and gentle breezes asking to be allowed through the house. This was all done, but then....the frost!!! And the snow!!! The temperature thought it funny that I got flowers and before I had time to plant them all safely in pots with warm soil, I had to cover them with plastic and pray that they would not die. Tragedy happened...all my sweet little impatiens died and were sent to the dump by way the garbage truck this week...

Fortunately, all my alyssum, violas and snapdragons survived this horrible joke the weather played on me and they are doing the best they can through the still cold days that have followed. I only hope that the sunlight lingers on them long enough for them to grow and bloom and thrive...these are the thoughts of a gardener who has a porch the faces the wrong direction...north-east...if they do not grow and I do not have a May with flowers, they might just find themselves in the back of the house to be enjoyed only by me and my husband...

:)

No comments: